In this sermon, Rev. C.H. Spurgeon explores the power of the Holy Ghost. He discusses the outward and visible displays of the Holy Spirit’s power, the inward and spiritual manifestations of His power, and the future and expected works of the Holy Spirit. This study guide will help you reflect on the sermon and apply its message to your own life.
- What are some examples of the outward and visible displays of the Holy Spirit’s power that Spurgeon mentions in the sermon? How do these displays demonstrate the omnipotence of the Holy Spirit?
- How does the Holy Spirit have power over our hearts, wills, and imaginations? Why is it important to recognize and rely on the Holy Spirit’s power in these areas?
- Spurgeon mentions the future work of the Holy Spirit in perfecting us in holiness. What does this mean? How does the Holy Spirit’s power enable us to become more like Christ?
- How does the Holy Spirit’s power contribute to the bringing on of the latter-day glory? What role do you think the Holy Spirit plays in the spread of the gospel and the growth of the Church?
- Spurgeon also mentions the power of the Holy Spirit in the general resurrection. How does the Holy Spirit’s power give us hope for the future resurrection of our bodies? How does this power impact our understanding of eternal life?
Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for the power of the Holy Spirit. We recognize that the Holy Spirit has the power to transform our hearts, wills, and imaginations. We pray that you would continue to work in us, perfecting us in holiness and enabling us to live lives that honor you. We also pray for the outpouring of the Holy Spirit in our world, that many would come to know you and experience your love and grace. Finally, we thank you for the hope of the resurrection and the power of the Holy Spirit to bring about new life. In Jesus’ name, Amen.